Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hello NaNo, Good-bye Sanity




















It's almost here. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) happens every November. It's basically a writing challenge with the goal of producing a novel in 30 days. You can't start writing until November 1, and you don't stop until one of the following things happens:

  • at least 50,000 words have been completed
  • the clock announces midnight on November 30
  • you toss your computer out the window and give up

Last year I opted out of NaNo and felt guilty as a teenager caught cheating on their final exam. So this year, I'm back in and have been working on a rough outline and my main characters. Planning in advance is okay, and for me quite necessary. I'm not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer.

Part of the fun of NaNo is sharing the agony with other writers. My own writer's group is doing a NaNo kickoff party tonight where there will be much gnashing of teeth and discussion of strategy. Some writers will get together to work throughout the month in a true example of the many ways misery loves company. Marathon writing is a requirement. Editing is impossible. Achieving 50,000 words is priceless.

This will be my fourth NaNo project and will give me my fourth "novel". Don't I sound prolific?

To keep me on track, I'm going on blog break. I hope to post a few updates. After all, somebody has to hold me accountable, right?

If you're interested in jumping on the NaNo bandwagon, check out the NaNo website.

10 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Pat, good luck with your novel. I have an idea chomping at the bit, but will probably not make myself crazy trying to do it in 30 days. Then again...

Sioux Roslawski said...

May God be with you. ;)

Unknown said...

A break is a good idea and we so hope it goes well. Happy Halloween for tomorrow. Have a tremendous Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Lynn said...

Good luck. I thought about it, but with all the days I will be out of town and then throwing Thanksgiving in there, I think I'm going to have to pass, but I'll try and write each day I'm home... or draw. I'll be your support!!! GO PAT!!!! Oh and love the doggie diaper! I need to tell my daughter about that so when her dogs come to visit "grandma" I won't find puddles after they leave.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

An admirable feat! I was thinking of committing to blogging every day, but with surgery looming, it feels overwhelming!

Good luck!

Ann Summerville said...

I'm joining you and have a folder full of notes and plots to get me started. Good luck and may the force be with you.
Ann

Tammy said...

I greatly admire anyone who even attempts it! Best of luck to you.

Unknown said...

Cheering you on, Pat! Good luck with your novel.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Pat,
You go, Girl! Best of luck to you. I did NaNo last year, but this year I'm opting out; I'm more like OhNo!

Mary Horner said...

Good luck Pat, I was going to attempt it this year, but just had too many work projects that had to be completed