Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

He's Got Bedroom Eyes

Dogs are down to earth and fairly predictable. They enjoy squeaky toys, chewy bones, playing fetch, and being scratched behind the ears. They love treats and dinner time. They adore their humans. Take my Indy boy for example. He's now blind, deaf, and nearly fifteen years old, yet still gamely stumbles after me as I walk from room to room. Only occasionally does he bump his nose on an obstacle. Now that's true love.

Then you have cats. What I don't understand about cats is their obsession with the strangest things. One of Bogey's favorite types of entertainment occurs whenever I change the sheets. He can hear the rustle of cotton bedclothes even when he's in the basement. Such activity incites a mad rush to the bedroom where he wastes no time leaping right into the middle of the action.
















If I try to tuck the fitted sheet, he worms his way under one of the edges. 
















Snap the flat sheet and he attacks the puffs of air that balloon beneath it. And don't let your hand get in the way. Bogey has very efficient claws. 


Then there's the ultimate coup...
















Frankly, the only way I'm able to safely change sheets is by closing the bedroom door. However, this creates a frenzied meowing on the other side, the tone and tenor of which causes my ears to ring. I'm pretty sure what he's saying in cat-speak includes exceptionally unprintable comments regarding my personality, parentage, and utter lack of moral fiber. It feels like I've come between a first day dieter and a triple chocolate layer cake.    

My cat and bed sheets. I just don't get it. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is funny and cute at the same time. Have a tremendous Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Two French Bulldogs said...

Those kitty kats could be awfully funny
Lily & Edward

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is hilarious Pat, laughed so much! You are right, cats have the strangest quirks.
Lynne x

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Macy loves to roll around in my dirty sheets coming off the bed... Animals are just too cute!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--Your photos are great. When I had cats, they had the same fun when I made the beds. I think cats just know how to have fun no matter what the situation is. An empty box, a no-longer-needed paper bag, the little ring from the top of a milk jug--all wonderful fun.

Have you submitted to the St. Louis Listen to Your Mother show? If not, why not? ;)

Unknown said...

Ha! Love those bedroom eyes, Pat. And I agree: cats do do the strangest things. Our cat Snowflake used to "sing" outside the bathroom door every time my son took a shower. It was the funniest thing! Thanks for the laughs and sweet pics this morning.

Lynn said...

HA! Pat, my cat does the exact same thing... I change the sheets, and their he is flopping all around. And he gets really mad when I try and make him get down so that I can finish making the bed! They're so funny.

Tammy said...

Your title alone made me giggle, and the post certainly didn't disappoint. You capture our furry friends so perfectly.

Linda O'Connell said...

Our cat does the same thing! His favorite toy is one of the grandkids' small plastic dinosaur. he tosses it in the air and chases it. He makes me laugh.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Our Luna is a kindred spirit---she loves it when the sheets are changed also. Your pics made my day. Thanks!

Karen Lange said...

I've had dogs and cats, and I'm with you - dogs are more predictable! I've given up on trying to figure cats out. Maybe they're a lot like us women. :)