Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Game Designer

Winston has created a new game. He should probably patent it since playing never gets old. In case your dog is bored and looking for something to do, here are the rules:


  • Give the dog a tennis ball
  • Let him push it as far as it will go under any piece of furniture
  • Next he will bark hysterically without stopping until someone gets it out 
  • Repeat
  • Repeat
  • Repeat, etc.


The only thing that stops Winston from playing this game is when a mysterious force causes the tennis ball to completely disappear.

From my experience, the only ones who truly enjoy playing are dogs. Thus I fear there would be some issues with marketing to a canine target audience for one important reason.

Dogs don't carry credit cards (thank goodness!).


8 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--Just remember: You WANTED a puppy. I did too, a couple of years ago. Now Radar is old enough, I no longer want to throttle him. Winston will also grow into an easier phase.

To help ensure he survives the next year or two, I suggest you add an additional component to Winston's game: The human should drink a glass of wine between when the barking stops and when it begins again (because the ball is again under the furniture). Enough wine will guarantee that you too enjoy the game.

Fireblossom said...

Too funny. What's in YOUR wallet, Winston?

Sketching with Dogs said...

Yes, we often play this game with Elliot's mini tennis ball (which is small enough to roll under absolutely anyting including the 7 foot high book case). Never gets old - pulls distressed emoticon like face, LOL.
Lynne x

BECKY said...

OMG! That is hilarious, Pat! And I love the photo! You could expand on this and submit to the newest dog book for Chicken Soup!!

Saku said...

I recognize that game, though in my house it involves a cat.

Thankfully Saku cannot bark, however he can (and does) scratch. His favorite toy is the plastic cover from my daughter's old cell phone which he loves to toss in the air until it eventually finds its way under the couch. Then he scratches at said couch so that I'll move the couch to give it back to him.

Like Winston once it is fully out of sight it is generally forgotten. Life is certainly interesting living with a pet!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

My kids used to play this game, especially while sitting in the cart at the grocery story. In that variation, the toy is tossed to the floor and the little urchin fusses until it is retrieved...only to give it another toss. I have clear memories of my not-yet-toddlers thinking that was the best game ever. I LOVE the pic you posted of Winston. That would be a good one for a Pawsitive Pondering, if you'll let me borrow it. :)

Linda O'Connell said...

Our cat has designed his own game, too. He likes to hide in paper bags and pull every one of his toys out of his basket and leave them on the floor. He's got me trained to pick them up. your Winston could do anything and get away with it!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

LOL! LOVE the butt shot!